Friday, October 30, 2015

Interview with Erica Lucke Dean – author of Splintered Souls (Flames of Time #1)

Dreamer J: ‘Splintered Souls’ is a fun book with soul-mates as a way of explaining the supernatural element of time-travel.  How did you come to think of soul-mates as the explanation?  Which came first, the desire to write about soul mates or the desire to include time travel?

Erica:  I think they came to me at the same time. The idea of soul mates searching for each other through time just seemed like the romance of the ages. And adding a few twists to the mix was all me. J

Dreamer: Where and when did the idea for ‘Splintered Souls’ originate?  How long have you been working on this series, or dreaming up the characters?

Erica:  Last summer, I had a medical condition that required me to take this awful medication that made me sea sick when I got up and walked around, so for three weeks I stayed in my bed and wrote a book. I’m working on the sequel now, and I’m thinking about calling the doctor to see if I can get a refill. LOL

Dreamer:  Were there any influences in creating the characters, the charming old house, or the town atmosphere?

Erica:  When I was six years old, I spent a summer in Maine with my parents, and I’ve always loved the waves crashing against the craggy shore. There’s just something magical about Maine to me. So I knew that’s where the book had to be set. As for the town, I wanted something like Kennebunkport without being Kennebunkport.

Dreamer:  Do you have siblings?  Would you have made the same choice as Ava; turning down Georgetown after all that hard work, to help your family cope?

Erica:  I do have siblings. Two sisters. And I’d like to think I’d have made that same choice. Just like Ava, family means a lot to me. And Georgetown would still be there after a year or two of the smaller school.

Dreamer:  Are you a fan of supernatural series?  What types of supernatural beings do you enjoy reading about or watching? (Vampires, werewolves, witches, fairies, zombies, etc)

Erica:  I’ve never watched Supernatural, though I may be the only one in existence who doesn’t. LOL. I used to love True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, and the old-fashioned scary movies of my youth (let’s not ask how far back those go!) And let’s not forget Harry Potter and Twilight. Yes, I was a Twi-Mom.

Dreamer:  Are you a fan of other time-travel series?  Which ones?

Erica:  I haven’t read any of the other time travel series yet. I did read the Time Traveler’s Wife, and I loved that movie. But other than being fascinated with the idea of going back in time, I haven’t gotten into the other books like that. I hear Outlander is amazing, but I haven’t started it yet.

Dreamer:  What’s in store for Ava, Maddox, and Laith as your series progresses?

Erica:  There is much in store for them as things go on. When we catch up with them in the next book we’ll find Ava and… wait! I can’t give out spoilers. You’ll have to let me whisper in your ear sometime. J Just know I have a lot in store for them, and I can’t wait for it to be available.

Dreamer:  Are you currently working on the next book in the ‘Flames of Time’ series?  When can eager fans get their hands on a copy?

Erica:  I am in the middle of the sequel now and I know exactly how everything ends. And who Ava ends up with (and doesn’t end up with.) But I’m not telling. You’ll just have to wait. But I promise not to make it a long wait. J


Dreamer J’s Review:

After her father’s unexpected death, Ava decides to move with her mother and younger brother and attend University of Maine, rather than Georgetown.  Set in more of a high school atmosphere than college, Ava finds herself befriending a clique of girls who enjoy nothing more than gossiping about, or kissing, hot guys.

Ava is drawn to a mysterious hot guy herself, and when he finally introduces himself, Ava’s world quickly spirals out of control.  Caught in the middle of a centuries-old curse, which is revealed slowly throughout the book, she finds herself caught between twin time-traveling brothers, Maddox and Laith.  There are twists and turns along the way, leading to a surprise cliff-hanger ending.

‘Splintered Souls’ was a quick and easy read.  I enjoyed the tension between the clique-ish girls and battling brothers.  Best of all was the connection between the main characters and the involvement of soul-mates as a way of explaining the supernatural link between them.  Looking forward to the next chapter in the Flames of Time series!

Perfect for fans of Rysa Walker's 'Timebound' book series and the CW show, 'The Vampire Diaries.'

No comments:

Post a Comment